It's cold, humid, the atmosphere is a bit gloomy, so we feel like a nice cocoon, even for our meats.
Filet of beef in crust, for 8 people, in 2h
1.8 kg of beef tenderloin + 500 g of button mushrooms + 400 g of puff pastry + 3 shallots + 1 egg yolk + 10 cl cooking oil + 40 g of butter + 50 cl of brown veal stock + a pinch of Espelette pepper + a sprig of rosemary + salt + pepper + for the accompaniment, 8 large potatoes and some wild mushrooms.
Unanimously, it is the 2016 vintage that has won the enthusiasm of all. Its structure enhances the finesse of the fillet and the aromatic complexities are enriched. A nice moment of pleasure!
We tell you about it here as we prepared it at home (for 8 people).
Our realization, step by step
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. Boil the brown bottom with a nice pinch of pepper, stirring from time to time.
3. Sear the fillet of beef, without string or bard, in a non-stick pan with a little oil on all sides, until a nice golden color is obtained. Remove from the pan and place on absorbent paper.
4. Sauté the potatoes in the same pan for a few minutes with a sprig of rosemary.
5. Clean the button mushrooms and slice them.
6. Sauté them in a wok with a knob of butter and the chopped shallots. Add a pinch of Espelette pepper.
7. Let them cool down.
8. Spread the cold button mushrooms on the dough.
9. Arrange the fillet of beef over the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Using a pastry brush, brown the sides of the puff pastry.
11. Fold the puff pastry over to completely wrap the beef tenderloin. Seal the edges with egg yolk.
12. Place the fillet of beef upside down in a baking dish with the pre-cooked potatoes and the brown stock.
13. Brown the surface with egg yolk.
14. Bake in a hot oven, 200°C, for 20 minutes.
15. While the fillet is cooking, quickly clean the wild mushrooms with plenty of water. Sauté them in the wok with a knob of butter. Set aside.
16. Remove the fillet of beef from the oven after cooking. Arrange the fillet of beef on a serving platter with the wild mushrooms and potatoes and the juice in a sauce pan.
Difficulty encountered: the right cooking balance between meat and paste, especially the lower part, moistened by the juice. Next time, in addition to the rotating heat, we will use cooking from below. If you have any recommendations, do not hesitate! We wish you a good appetite.